- Sunday, 16 March 2014
You can also visit the official website for College of Health Sciences for more details on the School of Medicine and Surgery.
Click here to download free Brochure for School of Medicine and Surgery.
Remarks of the School
School of Medicine is one of the schools of Amoud University. It is situated in Borama District, Awdal Region. It was established on Academic year 2000-2001.
The School is headed by a Dean who acts as the chief officer responsible to the university president, the executive council for the plans and programs of the School and for its day-to-day operations. The Dean is assisted in his duties by an Administrative Assistant and associate dean.
Objectives of the School
- To produce highly trained doctors and nurses who will play a great role in the delivery of health care. In order to achieve this objective the School will:
- Provide these trainees with the knowledge, skill and attitudes to become competent physicians.
- Promote health knowledge through research in all areas related to health care including Basic science, clinical science studies, cultural and behavioral aspects of medical methods for delivering health care and medical education.
- Aim at promoting exemplary, primary, secondary and tertiary health care and related community services.
- Undertake continuing medical education to maintain and improve the competence of the practicing professional and serve as a medical recourse center (MRC) for health professionals and
- Organizations involved in health care.
- Participate in the Development and improvement of the quality of health services in the country
- Most subjects are taught with a variety of methods including lectures, projected materials with lecturers notes presented to the students, practical work and seminars.
- Problem based learning
- Self directed learning
- Group dynamics
- Team work
- Early practical training at all levels of health services (individuals, families and communities)
- Staff training and development
Criteria for admission
Applicant to this School must have:
- Completed Secondary Education
- Passed the general requirement courses of the freshman year with at least a GPA of 3.5
A. Student Assessment
1. Continuous Evaluation
2. Credit Hours
3. Utilization of numerous tools of Evaluation.
B. Curriculum Evaluation
1. End of courses student feedback
2. Courses coordinators reports
3. Yearly Review
The credit hour per semester forms the basis of awarding a Bachelor degree at the faculty. In order to be eligible for the degree, the student must successfully earn a minimum of 280 hours. The duration for completing theses hours is six years, which are divided into the following manner.
Basic science study: two years
Pre-clinical study: Two years
Clinical study: Two years
This is followed by an internship of one year in the affiliated hospitals.
Calendar year Beginning Beginning Ending
1st Semester 15th Sept 30th Jan 30th Jan
Mid-Vocation 1st Feb 28th Feb 28th Feb
2nd Semester 1st March 15th July 15th July
Summer Vocation 16th July 14 Sept 14 Sept