Programme Background and Rationale
The bachelor of information technology programme is designed to produce computing graduates with strong technical knowledge to function effectively as database programmers, web developers, and IT support persons with a strong foundation for continued career growth. The programme brings together conceptual knowledge, problem solving, and independent critical thinking skills that are needed by information technology professionals. The growth of IT sector in Somaliland over the last decade and the emergence of global knowledge economy in the horn of Africa region and beyond require highly-skilled multidisciplinary IT professionals knowledgeable on new methods, tools and innovation systems. Amoud University through this programme is positioning itself to strategically produce more relevant information technology experts required for the ever expanding IT needs.
The fiber optic cable laid down recently in Somaliland has led to exponential increase in the internet speeds and data bandwidth, thus further entrenching demand for ICT services and experts. Therefore through this programme, Amoud University and the faculty of computing and informatics intends to produce highly skilled and relevant entrepreneurial professionals for the Information Technology sector in Somaliland and the Horn of Africa and the regional market at large. The programme is modeled with the pillars of IT including programming, networking, human-computer interaction, databases, and web systems, built on a foundation of knowledge of the fundamentals of IT. Overarching the entire foundation and pillars are information assurance and security, and professionalism. The programme has been developed in consonance with the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) IEEE Computer Society (IEEE-CS) Task Group (International information technology curricula,https://www.acm.org/education/curricula-recommendations, 2017).
This programme should produce modern database administrators and web developers, with most modern knowledge and skills for a successful professional career in computing and informatics. It should produce top professionals who can quickly get involved in the work process, with innovative mentality, self-confidence and ability to lead technology, business and society.
By the end of the programme, students should:
- Have broad understanding of information technology business related problems and emerging potential methods for solving them and the ability to design, implement and evaluate a computer based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs while functioning effectively in teams to accomplish common goals through effective communication with a wide range of audiences.
- Have broad knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the discipline and capacity to apply this knowledge to analyze a problem, identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution while demonstrating knowledge and awareness of the wide range of updated information technology tools and techniques coupled with strong analytical and critical thinking skills for solving the current problems in ICT.
- Exhibit practical competence, and the capacity to design, implement and evaluate database management and web authoring specific computing project; they should be able to use current technology concepts and practices in the core information technologies to identify and analyze user needs and take them into account in the selection, creation, evaluation and administration of computer based systems.
- Develop and exhibit strong ethical principles, good interpersonal communication and team skills necessary for IT industry; and ability to effectively integrate IT-based solutions into the user environment based on best practices and standards.
- Have broad understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities in the analysis of the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations and society.