Amoud University Senate
Experience & Activities
There shall be Senate of the University as provided for under this Constitution whose primary task is to be the clearing house for all academic activities of the University.
- The Senate is the supreme academic organ that determines and oversees all academic programmes at the University.
- The Vice-President for Academic Affairs shall be the head of the Senate and shall chair all meetings of the Senate.
Membership of the Senate
Membership of the Senate shall be:
- The President – ex officio;
- Vice-President (Academic Affairs), as the Chairperson;
- Chief Registrar, as the Secretary;
- Principals of Colleges and Schools;
- Deans of Faculties;
- Directors of Institutes and Programs;
- Directors of other units;
- The Chief Librarian;
- Chairperson of the Examinations Board;
- Academic Staff Representative(s);
- Full Professors of the University one from each Faculty /College/Institute;
- Students’ Representative(s);
- Legal Advisor;
- Other co-opted member(s) as the Chairperson may determine from time to time.
Committees of the Senate
- The Senate shall have the following standing committees:
i. Executive Committee;
ii. Curriculum Committee;
iii. Examinations Committee;
- Ad-Hoc Committees may be formed if, when and where necessary.
Meetings of the Senate
- The Senate shall meet at least twice each semester (four times a year);
- Extra meetings may be called by the Chairperson or by three-quotas (3/4) of its members to discuss urgent matters;
- The Senate shall make regulations for the conduct of its own business and for the proper discharge of its functions under the powers conferred on it by, or under this Constitution;
- The Senate shall meet at such times and places as it may determine, provided that the Chairperson shall have power to call a meeting at any time;
- The Senate shall have the power to invite any person to attend any meeting or part thereof, provided that such person shall have no power to vote.
Powers of the Senate
The Senate shall have the power:
- To appoint such Academic Boards and Committees as it deems fit and to delegate to any of them any powers or functions which it itself is
competent to perform, provided that the resolutions of such committees shall be brought before they full Senate for approval;
- To deprive any person who has been convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude or who, in its opinion, has been guilty of dishonorable or scandalous conduct, of any degree or other distinctions conferred by itself and of all privileges enjoyed by him or her by virtue of such degree or other distinctions provided that:
- Every person so deprived shall have the right to appeal to the Council against the decision(s) of the Senate, and the Council’s
decision thereon shall be final;
- The Senate shall have power to restore to any such person any degree or other distinctions or any privileges of which (s)he may
have been deprived.
Functions of the Senate
It shall be the function of The Senate to:
- Regulate the academic requirements for admission of students to courses in the University and the award of scholarships and prizes;
- Regulate courses of study and examinations held in the University;
- Approve courses for extra-mural studies;
- Recommend to Council persons to confer degrees and grant diplomas, certificates and other distinctions so long as such persons pursued courses of study approved by the University;
- Recommend to Council persons to confer honorary degrees and titles (such as Emeritus Professor, or Honorary Fellow, etc) and other
distinctions, having deemed such persons worthy thereof in accordance with University regulations;
- Promote research and innovations in the University;
- Report to the Council on any matter referred to it for report by the Council;
- Discuss and formulate recommendations it may deem fit on any other matter relating to the University;
- Formulate, modify or revise schemes for the organizations of Faculties and Departments and assign to such Faculties and departments their respective subjects;
- Report to the Council on the expediency of the establishment, at any time, of Faculties and departments, or expediency of the abolition, or subdivision of any Faculties or departments;
- Promote cooperation and linkages with other institutions of higher learning and industry;
- Award fellowships, scholarships, bursaries, and prizes to deserving persons; and
- Perform other such relevant functions that it may be assigned by the Council or President from time to time, so long such function are in line with the Constitution.